Global Tiger Day
When: Sunday, July 28, 2013
Time: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Location: Great Cats exhibit
Show your stripes at Global Tiger Day! Celebrate the top predator in Asia with
great cat keepers, Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute researchers,
SCBI's partners in tiger conservation, and the Zoo's Sumatran tigers.
- The tigers will receive special treats in their yards at various times throughout the day.
- Meet a tiger keeper. National Zoo tiger keepers will answer all the questions you have about the cats. Learn about the enrichment and training keepers do with each of the tigers to keep them healthy.
- Meet the scientists. Researchers from SCBI's Tiger Conservation Partnership will show visitors the tools they use to study tigers in the wild, including camera traps and radio collars.
- A children's dance group representing the Embassy of the Russian Federation will perform between 11:00 and 11:30am.
- Learn more about U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, Wildlife Conservation Society, the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of International Information Programs, and the Global Tiger Initiative's efforts to save wild tigers.