Go Behind the Scenes at Elephant Trails With Your Own Personal Guide
PLEASE NOTE: The Zoo will not be taking reservations for Elephant Barn Tours until further notice. All elephants are still visible in their outdoor habitats throughout Elephant Trails. Asian elephant Swarna is a little under the weather. Until our expert elephant team determines the cause, we need to limit access to the Elephant Community Center to best manage the existing herd and monitor Swarna. Please check back for updates.
Your Attendance Will Help Give Asian Elephants Enrichment
Friends of the National Zoo is proud to offer a tour of Elephant Trails, featuring the state-of-the-art Barn and another vantage point, such as the Overlook, Bridge, or Outpost. The Barn is not open to visitors, so this tour is the only way to see this impressive and fascinating facility.
From the Barn's multiple elephant suites featuring truly innovative features such as a four-foot-deep sand floor and myriad opportunities for enrichment to green design features such as geothermal wells, operable skylights, and a roof covered with vegetation, this facility should be seen by all fans of elephants and the National Zoo.
Don't miss this very special opportunity to go behind the scenes at the newest area of the Zoo!
- Tours will be held on Wednesdays and Sundays at 8:15 a.m. as space allows, and last an hour and 15 minutes.
- Tours are limited to ten people at a time, ensuring everyone will have great visibility and access to the expert tour leader.
- Guests will have the exciting opportunity to see keepers working with elephants and artifacts including teeth and poop up close.
- Reservations are required.
- The fee is $50 per person 13 years old and older and $20 for children aged three through 12. Children two and under are free. Anyone may sign up—FONZ members and nonmembers. Proceeds support elephant enrichment and zoo education.
For further details and reservations, contact
Caroline Winslow at 202.633.3057 or via
(please include a phone number in your email).