News Archive 2009
January| February | March | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December
- Wild Side Stage—Theatre for Kids at the National Zoo
This winter, Friends of the National Zoo will present Wild Side Stage, a new performance series for children. Families are invited for shows by acclaimed, award-winning musicians, dancers, storytellers, and puppeteers from around the country.
- Two Arapaima Die at the National Zoo
Two arapaima fish in the Zoo's Amazonia exhibit died. A third is being watched carefully.
- Celebrate the Season at ZooLights December 4 through January 2
The National Zoo's winter extravaganza offers fun for all ages at reduced ticket prices.
- Smithsonian Scientists Find the Frog Legs Trade May Facilitate Spread of Pathogens
The $40-million-per-year culinary trade of frog legs may contribute to the spread of amphibian chytrid which is devastating amphibian populations worldwide, scientists find.
- Wild Deer Lands in Lion Habitat at the National Zoo
A wild white-tailed deer jumped into a lion exhibit at the National Zoo on November 8.
- National Zoo Launches Customized Conservation Stamps
Just in time for mailing holiday greeting cards, the National Zoo launches a series of customized conservation stamps featuring seven Zoo animals that represent major science programs at the Zoo.
- Elderly Sloth Bear Dies at the National Zoo
Merlin, the National Zoo’s senior male sloth bear, died on November 4 after a 48-hour illness.