Time of the Tiger
Sidebar: How Can You Help Tigers?
Without human action, says tiger expert John Seidensticker, this magnificent species cannot survive in the wild. (Jessie Cohen/NZP)
- Learn all you can about tigers and the issues they face. You can stay abreast of tiger news at www.globaltigerinitiative.org.
- Use your knowledge to buy wisely. Purchase wood products that are grown locally or sustainably. Avoid products like palm oil, usually produced from plantations on what was once habitat for tigers and other endangered species.
- Volunteer at the Zoo or with other organizations to help educate people about tigers.
- Donate money to aid conservation efforts.
- If you can go see tigers in the wild, by all means do so. But make sure your tourist dollars go back into local communities.
More: "Time of the Tiger"
If you have a comment about Smithsonian Zoogoer magazine, please
email it to us.
Smithsonian Zoogoer 39(5) 2010. Copyright 2010 Friends of the National Zoo.
All rights reserved.