Ezequiel Moraes dos Santos
With support from the grant from Probio, the small GIS station
has been maintained. The WWF Brazil also confirmed their interest
in developing a partnership with the GLT Association for expanding
the GIS lab. The GIS continues to assist the researchers in
locating important areas for their activities.
Amongst the example of products generated
by the GIS are:
- Map of the Poço das Antas Reserve to use for developing
management strategies by IBAMA
- Demonstration Map of the burnt burnt in Poço das
Antas for use by IBAMA
- Schematic Map of the projected forest corridors between
the Rio Vermelho Farm and Poço das Antas
- Schematic Map for the agricultural schools that participate
in the Environment Education program
- Maps to help establishment of two RPPNs (private reserves)
- Map for a proposal to establishment an APA of the Rio
- Due to its structure and transparency, the GIS system
has attracted the interest of potential partners such as
local city halls, university and other NGOs.
- This has been made successful due to the unrestricted
bracket support of the PRONABIO/PROBIO/MMA grant, with the
additional funds from BIRD/GEF/CNPq.