The public dissemination of our datasets is a core obligation. Our highest priorities as stewards of long-term datasets are:
- maintain data integrity;
- allow adequate time for the analysis, quality assurance, and publication of results by graduate students and principal investigators;
- properly and responsibly acknowledge the appropriate funding sources.
We will therefore make our data available within five years of the date of collection. We request that data users adhere to the following guidelines as a matter of professional courtesy and ethical responsibility:
- Inform the principal investigators in advance of interest and plans for use of these data.
- Acknowledge properly the sources of funding used to collect these data. We will provide the appropriate information when we learn which data are being used.
- We ask to review manuscripts that use extensive amounts (e.g. several years) of these data. If data use is extensive, or if these data have not been published previously, it may be appropriate for one or more project PIs to be included as co-authors on publications that are generated, given the additional requirements from us for analysis and interpretation.
Tissues such as blood, feathers, claws, and fecal material are housed in SMBC's frozen tissue collection indefinitely. Much of this material is consumed during analysis, but remaining samples are freely made available to interested researchers. These samples are currently available by request, but we are working to make this database freely searchable online. Please contact Dr. Pete Marra for information on how to access tissue samples.
Available Data Sets
Metadata are included with each file
- Ovenbird data used in the manuscript entitled "Migratory Connectivity of a Neotropical Migratory Songbird Revealed Using Archival Light-Level Geolocators"
- American redstart departure data from Jamaica - 1994 to 2007
- American redstart survival data from Jamaica - 1994 to 2007
- Black-throated Blue Warbler, New Hampshire, USA
- California Sparrow Evolution Archive
- California Song X-Ray Evolution Archive
Metadata is attached to each file.