Communications/Smithsonian Zoogoer Editorial Internship
The Communications Office of Friends of the National
Zoo (FONZ) invites applicants for editorial internships with Smithsonian Zoogoer magazine, a 40-page, four-color magazine
that focuses on natural history and wildlife conservation.
In addition, the office produces various other publications,
conducts public relations for FONZ, and manages the
The internship provides excellent experience, and previous
interns have found their published clips useful in securing
Duties and Responsibilities
Interns focus on the editorial aspects of Smithsonian Zoogoer magazine, but are expected to participate in all aspects
of the office's work, including:
- Writing magazine departments
- Conducting text research and verifying accuracy
of magazine copy
- Writing content for the website and maintaining
- Assisting with public relations, correspondence,
and general office tasks as they arise
Desired Qualifications and Abilities
- Student or recent graduate with major in science
writing, journalism, English, biology, or related
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to adapt
to Smithsonian Zoogoer's style
- Strong research skills
- Willingness to take initiative and motivation to
seek new learning opportunities
- Keen attention to detail when proofreading, copyediting,
- Flexibility and a good sense of humor
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Desktop publishing, HTML, and related computer skills
- Public relations experience or abilities
National Zoo, Washington, D.C.
This is an unpaid position, and no stipend is offered. FONZ does not pay transportation or housing costs. However, we can work with your school if you are interested in pursuing course credit through this internship.
Dates, Hours, and Deadlines
The intern is required to work 30 to 40 hours per week
for about 12 weeks; starting and ending dates
- The summer internship
begins in May. The deadline to submit an application
is February 15.
- The fall internship
begins in September, and the deadline to submit
an application is June 15.
- The spring internship
begins in January. The deadline to submit an application
is October 15.
Print and send
form, along with:
- A cover letter,
- A resume,
- Two recent nonfiction writing samples that demonstrate your
ability to write for a broad audience,
- Names and contact details of two references.
For Additional Information
Contact FONZ Internships Coordinator