Friends of the National Zoo (FONZ) seeks a web intern to assist the Communications Office with maintaining, updating, and editing the National Zoo/FONZ website.
The web intern will be primarily involved with the website but may also participate in other communications work involving Smithsonian Zoogoer and the media.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Research, write, and update content for the website, including animal fact sheets, staff Q&As, vet stories, exhibit overviews, fun facts, photo gallery captions, membership information, education programs, special events, and more
- Edit content for website provided by keepers and other staff to comply with the Zoo’s style guide
- Help develop and pursue ideas for the website
- Assist with social media initiatives
- Help prepare images and content for e-newsletters and web pages, including logos for special events
- Attend weekly Communications team meetings and cover other Zoo meetings as needed, provide summary notes to Communications team
- Other administrative and communication duties as needed
Internship duties may be flexible. Interns are also encouraged to explore the Zoo’s exhibits and familiarize themselves with the animals and science as part of the internship.
Desired Qualifications and Abilities
- Major in communication, journalism, English, biology, or a web-related field
- Knowledge of, and experience with, desktop publishing including Photoshop and Dreamweaver.
- Web communications experience or abilities, including creating and updating websites.
- Strong interest in zoos, animals, science, and conservation
- Good writing and editing skills
- Keen attention to detail when proofreading, copyediting, and fact-checking
- Ability to adhere to an organizational style guide
- Strong organizational skills
- Flexibility and a good sense of humor
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Experience in marketing or special events is a plus
National Zoo, Washington, D.C.
This is an unpaid position, and no stipend is offered. FONZ does not pay transportation or housing costs. However, we can work with your school if you are interested in pursuing course credit through this internship.
Dates, Hours, and Deadlines
The intern is required to work 24 to 40 hours per week; starting and ending dates
Please email the following materials to
the Communications Office.
- Cover sheet including name, address, phone numbers, and email address.
- Resume or CV summarizing education (including current academic status) and employment experience, with emphasis on web experience.
As an equal opportunity employer, FONZ values workplace diversity.