Media Relations Internship
The National Zoo invites applicants for a media relations internship in the Zoo’s busy Office of Communications.
The Office of Communications handles all media requests for the Zoo, as well as proactive media outreach about the Zoo’s collection, exhibits, and scientific research.
Interns will assist in the public relations/communications functions of the office including:
- Helping plan, research, write, edit, and design copy for the Zoo’s press kits, news releases, and other external materials; including production and distribution of news releases and press kits
- Maintaining an up-to-date media database for use by staff by initiating media contacts via mail, phone, email, or fax
- Monitoring the media for Zoo news and organizing media clips
- Assisting with organizing and staffing press events.
- Conducting research to create fact sheets
- Attending and participating in staff meetings
- Other administrative duties as needed
Desired Qualifications and Abilities
- Major in public relations, journalism, communication, English, biology, or related field
- Strong interest in science
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Willingness to take initiative and motivation to seek new learning opportunities
- Keen attention to detail when proofreading, copyediting, and fact-checking
- Flexibility and a good sense of humor
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Desktop publishing, HTML, and related computer skills
- Good research ability and command of the Internet
- Public relations experience or abilities
This is an internship for credit only.
Term of Appointment
Days and times are flexible but a minimum of 15 to 20 hours per week are required.
To Submit Your Application
Interested students should send a resume and cover letter to the
Office of Public Affairs.
Applicants will have to pass a Smithsonian background check before beginning work.