The Smithsonian's National Zoo is transforming its historic 1928 Bird House and surrounding plateau into an educational celebration of birds and bird migration. Experience Migration will be a first-of-its-kind zoo attraction that immerses visitors in birds' miraculous annual journeys.
At the Experience Migration Exhibit visitors will be able to:
- Engage in hands-on opportunities and meet Zoo staff for close-up encounters with birds.
- Learn about world-renowned pioneering research led by scientists at the Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center.
- Join Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center scientists as they catch, band and release birds at the Tracking Station.
- Experience the awe-inspiring beauty, grace and power of birds in the multi-media Migration Passageway.
- Enjoy a cup of Bird Friendly Coffee on Bird Plateau where lush landscapes attract localbirds.
- Step into naturalistic exhibits representing habitats of critical importance in the annual life cycles of migratory birds, including:
- Delaware Bay Aviary- One of the most important and imperiled'pit stop' of a shorebird's migratory cycle.
- Prairie Pothole Aviary- The "Duck Factory" of North America.
- Bird Friendly Coffee Farm Aviary- The winter home of the wood thrush and and many other migratory songbird species the Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center is working to save.