Benefits of Being Certified:
More and more consumers are demanding shade-grown coffee and are willing to pay a few more cents per cup to enjoy a great tasting beverage with the satisfaction of knowing that they are supporting bird conservation, a healthy environment, and the livelihood of small-scale farm owners.
Certified Bird Friendly® farms benefit from:
- Better tasting coffee: beans ripen more slowly in shade, resulting in a richer flavor
- Protection of soil and water resources from the agroforestry environment
- Pollution control at mills, both wet and dry
- Healthy environments for workers and downstream communities
- Organic matter recycling from the leaf litter generated by the shade trees
- Nitrogen fixing (and soil improvement) from leguminous species of shade trees
- Potential for a premium price in excess of the organic premium
- Wood and fruit products from the shade trees
- Eco-tourism possibilities for birdwatchers, nature lovers and agricultural tourists
These are only some of the benefits you as a farmer may profit from. For more information about the value of Bird Friendly® certification, please contact: Robert Rice.