Roasters and Distributors
Every day more and more consumers are demanding shade-grown coffee and are willing to pay a few more cents to enjoy a great tasting cup of coffee with the satisfaction of knowing that they are supporting bird conservation, a healthy environment, and the livelihood of many small-scale farm owners.
Everyday more and more coffee plantations are being certified with the Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center (SMBC) "Bird Friendly®" seal of approval because it is the only 100% organic shade-grown coffee certification available.
Benefits of "Bird Friendly": (some due to its organic and/or fair trade status)
- Better tasting coffee because shade-coffee beans ripen more slowly, resulting in a richer flavor.
- Fair and stable prices for producers.
- Healthy environments for workers and downstream communities.
- More traditional varieties and new varieties that are resistant to pests.
- Pollution control at mills, both wet and dry.
- Access to credit for producers employing sustainable technologies.
- Adequate wages, housing, and health care for workers.
- Access to markets for all producers, irrespective of farm size.
These are only some of the benefits you as a roaster or distributor may profit from. For a detailed list or more information on the benefits to you of the "Bird Friendly®" seal of approval, please contact: Robert Rice.
How to Join the Program:
If you are interested in joining with the Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center in its efforts to promote shade-grown coffee via the "Bird Friendly®" coffee program, here are the simple steps involved:
- Email Robert Rice.
- Read over the contract and decide whether you want to participate.
- If you decide to participate, ask Dr. Rice to arrange an agreement with Smithsonian's contracting office specific to your company—he'll need all your contact information in order to do this.
- Sign the agreement he sends you and return it to his office.
- Preparing and sending to our office a → quarterly report on the amount of BF coffee you sell.
- Remitting a quarterly check to our office that pays a per-pound royalty fee for BF coffee used by your company.
- Staying in touch with us about things you might need from our office.
- Use of the BF term in your promotional/advertising materials.
- Use of the BF logo on packaging and other marketing materials.
- Access to an array of graphics on our .ftp site, all of which you can use in your promotion of the BF coffees.
- Free posters featuring original artwork related to BF coffee.
- Free brochures about the program (when available)
- List of all importers of BF coffee
- List of all roasters of BF coffee
Who Grows It?
Are you a distributor in need of a certified farm or farmer?