The Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center is dedicated to understanding, conserving and championing the grand phenomenon of bird migration. Founded in 1991, we are located at the Smithsonian's National Zoological Park in Washington, D.C. → Join our Center
Bird Fest 2015 celebrates the springtime return of millions of birds that spend winters in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Held in honor of International Migratory Bird Day, the theme of this year's events is "Restore Habitat, Restore Birds."
- Bill size correlates with telomere length in male American Redstarts
- Experimental reduction of winter food decreases body condition and delays migration in a long-distance migratory bird
- A critical season approach to Allen's rule: bill size declines with winter temperature in a cold temperate environment
- Winter food limits timing of pre-alternate moult in a short-distance migratory bird
- Mitochondrial Genomes Suggest Rapid Evolution of Dwarf California Channel Islands Foxes (Urocyon littoralis)
- → View all
First-hand updates from our researchers in the field.
Migration on the Gulf Coast