The Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute's Department of Animal Programs (Bird Unit) is seeking applications for one internship position for a six-month session (32 hours/week). The intern will have the opportunity to gain experience in the field of animal care and conservation biology by participating in daily animal keeper activities and associated research, including animal husbandry, nutrition, behavioral observation and enrichment. This is a paid internship opportunity, wherein the intern will support SCBI's Department of Animal Programs at the Front Royal, Virginia campus. Dormitory housing is provided starting in February 2023.
Through this position, the intern will:
- Learn alongside professional animal care staff basic animal husbandry of birds, including cleaning enclosures, preparing food and enrichment activities, cleaning and caring for live feeder colonies (mice, insects and anoles), nest checks, chick care, fecal collections, semen collation/assessment, egg incubation, assisting with environmental enhancements, enclosure maintenance, record keeping and observation
- Learn formal and informal interpretive educational programs for guests.
- Learn how to develop and implement animal enrichment programs.
- Learn and follow animal/keeper safety guidelines, operations and policies.
- Learn USDA and AZA guidelines, NZSCBI directives, procedures and protocols, and other related literature.
- Have the opportunity to develop an independent training, enrichment or research project with guidance of bird team staff.
- Present a short summary to SCBI Department of Animal Programs staff at the end of the posting.
- Good physical condition, able to lift and carry a minimum of 50 pounds
- Willingness to be available outside normal business hours, including weekends and holidays
- Capable of participating outdoors in all weather conditions
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to be an effective team member, oftentimes with minimal supervision
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions
- Ability to remain calm and think rationally under pressure
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to be flexible when changes occur
- Must have appropriate footwear. Appropriate outerwear is required for all weather conditions (rain, snow, wind, hail, etc.)
- Experience and Qualities Preferred
- Previous internships within the animal care field
- Interest in learning about avian management with aspirations to advance in the wildlife or zoo field
- Experience with exotic birds or wildlife animal care
- Experience in a zoo, wildlife conservation or similar settings
- Intern must follow all applicable Covid19 as set forth by the Smithsonian
- Intern will have access to a dedicated computer and radio while performing animal care duties
- Prior to conducting animal care activities, intern will complete all required safety training modules
- Intern will not perform duties when SCBI is closed for weather events
- Intern will not report to the SCBI campus if they are experiencing any symptoms of illness that have been associated with COVID
- Intern will take COVID-related safety training online, ahead of reporting to SCBI for the first time
February 13th- Aug 7th, 2023, 32 hours per week
To apply, go to: https://solaa.si.edu. Select "Don't have an Account? Create An Account." Complete the information to create an account.
Information that will be requested (in SOLAA) includes:
- Basic personal information
- Professional resume or CV
- A one-page statement of your interest in pursuing this position. The statement should mention relevant experience, career goals, your reasons for wanting this internship, and what you hope to gain from the experience. Your statement is very important during application evaluations
- Transcripts from your current and/or previous institutions. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
- Two letters of reference (one must be from a current or a former supervisor)
Once you create your account and provide the information above, you will see a screen where you select the type of appointment you are interested in. You will select:
- Type of appointment: “Internship”
- Unit of interest: “National Zoological Park”
- Program: “National Zoological Park Internship Program”
- Project: “SCBI - Bird Animal Keeper Internship"
IMPORTANT: Your application is considered complete when you hit “Submit.” Your SOLAA-submitted application with references must be received by the deadlines as noted above.