Be part of the team creating a new exhibit at the Smithsonian's National Zoo. The Zoo is renovating the Bird House and surrounding area, themed on bird migration, to provide an outstanding visitor experience, world-class animal care and sustainable and efficient operations. The multidisciplinary team is offering a learning experience for an intern interesting in gaining firsthand knowledge and experience through the design phase of this innovative project.
Through this internship, interns will:
- Learn alongside professional staff to understand the roles and processes during the development of a complex zoo exhibit
- Learn the team approach process to project management
- Gain knowledge assisting in an exhibits office in a zoo environment
- Gain skills in writing for informal science audiences; gain experience within an interdisciplinary team (e.g., including designer, curator, educator) and experience how diverse or opposing ideas are negotiated to a positive result.
There are three internship sessions during the year: spring, summer, and fall. Interns will be expected to provide at least 25-40 hours a week, splitting their time among the three departments as needed.
To apply, go to: https://solaa.si.edu. Select "Don't have an Account? Create An Account." Complete the information to create an account.
Information that will be requested (in SOLAA) includes:
- Basic personal information
- Professional resume or CV
- A one-page statement of your interest in pursuing this position. The statement should mention relevant experience, career goals, your reasons for wanting this internship, and what you hope to gain from the experience. Your statement is very important during application evaluations
- Transcripts from your current and/or previous institutions. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
- Two letters of reference (one must be from a current or a former supervisor)
- Schedule of availability.
Once you create your account and provide the information above, you will see a screen where you select the type of appointment you are interested in. You will select:
- Type of appointment: “Internship”
- Unit of interest: “National Zoological Park”
- Program: “National Zoological Park Internship Program”
- Project: “”
IMPORTANT: Your application is considered complete when you hit “Submit.” Your SOLAA-submitted application with references must be received by the deadlines as noted above.