The Smithsonian's National Zoo invites applicants for a digital internship in the Zoo's busy Office of Communications. The Office of Communications handles all media requests for the Zoo, as well as proactive media outreach, social media and website content about the Zoo's collection, exhibits, and scientific research.
Interns will assist in the administrative and media relations functioning of the office including:
- Helping organize, edit, optimize and tag website copy in preparation for website migration (35%)
- Helping with input and layout of new website pages (30%)
- Researching and writing content for social and digital media campaigns (10%)
- Gathering and analyzing analytics data, including from Google Analytics (5%)
- Conducting research to create fact sheets (5%)
- As needed, helping Media Relations intern plan, research, write, edit, and design copy for the Zoo's website, news releases, media advisories, photo news releases and other external materials (10%)
- Attending and participating in staff meetings
- Other administrative duties as needed (5%)
- Major in public relations, journalism, communication, English, biology, or related field
- Excellent writing AND editing skills
- Familiarity with AP-Style
- Experience with a CMS-based website
- Knowledge of basic HTML coding
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, including Excel spreadsheets
- Prior work with Google Analytics is a plus
- Strong organizational skills
- Willingness to take initiative and motivation to seek new learning opportunities
- Keen attention to detail when proofreading, copyediting, and fact-checking
- Flexibility and a good sense of humor
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Good research ability and command of the internet
There is no set term of appointment for this internship. Session dates may be made in order to coordinate with university and work schedules. Interns will participate between 24 to 40 hours per week.
To apply, go to: https://solaa.si.edu. Select "Don't have an Account? Create An Account." Complete the information to create an account.
Information that will be requested (in SOLAA) includes:
- Basic personal information
- Professional resume or CV
- A one-page statement of your interest in pursuing this position. The statement should mention relevant experience, career goals, your reasons for wanting this internship, and what you hope to gain from the experience. Your statement is very important during application evaluations
- Transcripts from your current and/or previous institutions. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
- Two letters of reference (one must be from a current or a former supervisor)
- Schedule of availability.
Once you create your account and provide the information above, you will see a screen where you select the type of appointment you are interested in. You will select:
- Type of appointment: “Internship”
- Unit of interest: “National Zoological Park”
- Program: “National Zoological Park Internship Program”
- Project: “”
IMPORTANT: Your application is considered complete when you hit “Submit.” Your SOLAA-submitted application with references must be received by the deadlines as noted above.