The Smithsonian's National Zoo's information technology team is looking for an intern to join its office for the winter 2021 and spring 2022 semesters. This is a great opportunity for students to gain real-world experience building impactful applications and interfaces, providing technical support, and learning about the day-to-day operations of an IT Office in a large and complex government agency. This position will primarily be remote.
Through this internship, interns will:
Learn about the day-to-day processes around the implementation, upkeep and troubleshooting of IT infrastructure at the Smithsonian's National Zoo
Understand the unique IT needs of each Zoo unit and the IT office's role in supporting and meeting these needs
Understand the INFOSEC systems and regulations at the Zoo and the Smithsonian at large
Learn about the IT team's web projects and applications, both public-facing and internal, currently in active development at the Zoo
- Must be a current student in an undergraduate or graduate program in computer science or a related field
- Able to devote 10-20 hours per week to internship
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to pass a background investigation
- A Github profile with work examples
This is a six-month internship for the winter 2021 and spring 2022 terms, with the possibility of extension. Start and end dates are flexible. The intern should be able to commit to 10-20 hours per week.
To apply, go to solaa.si.edu. Select "Don't have an Account? Create An Account." Complete the information to create an account.
Information that will be requested (in SOLAA) includes:
- Basic personal information
- Professional resume or CV
- A one-page statement of your interest in pursuing this position. The statement should mention relevant experience, career goals, your reasons for wanting this internship and what you hope to gain from the experience. Your statement is very important during application evaluations.
- Transcripts from your current and/or previous institutions. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
- Two references (can be academic or professional)
- Schedule of availability
Once you create your account and provide the information above, you will see a screen where you select the type of appointment you are interested in. You will select:
- Type of appointment: “Internship”
- Unit of interest: “National Zoological Park”
- Program: “National Zoological Park Internship Program”
- Project: “Information Technology Internship”
IMPORTANT: Your application is considered complete when you hit “Submit.” Your SOLAA-submitted application with references must be received by the deadlines as noted above.