Friends of the National Zoo is seeking a highly motivated and independent Photography and Videography Intern to develop photo and video content to be used in communications with FONZ supporters. Work will include capturing and producing photos and video footage of Smithsonian’s National Zoo wildlife, landscapes and architecture, and documenting daily antics of the animal residents. The intern will work with the marketing team to support fundraising efforts and further FONZ's goals and mission.
Build your resume at one of D.C.’s most beloved landmarks, the Smithsonian’s National Zoo. Your original work will be shared to social media followers, magazine readers, Zoo visitors and members. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity to showcase your work and practice your skills.
- Film a wide variety of Zoo animals for short engagement clips consistent with the FONZ brand
- Edit videos
- Take photos of a wide variety of Zoo animals to showcase their daily habits and personalities
- Upload and share photos and videos via Dropbox
- Experience with photography/videography; experience in animal photography is a plus.
- Passion for communicating compelling stories through a visual medium
- Ability to work independently
- Strong communication skills needed to manage working with an off-site supervisor
- Great organizational skills
- Photo and video editing ability, and experience with Adobe Creative Suite, iMovie or comparable software
- Understanding of how to work within brand guidelines and the ability to take direction
- Must adhere to all safety protocol while on Zoo grounds
- Physically capable of navigating 163 acres of varied terrain in hot D.C. summers
- Must be 18 years of age or older
This is a volunteer commitment of up to 20 hours per week. Summer commitment is required. Starting and ending dates are flexible, and applicants should indicate availability in their cover letter. Copyrights will become property of Friends of the National Zoo, and credit will not be given for digital usage.
Please submit the following to WeAreFONZ@si.edu. Applications that fail to include all requested items will not be considered. Applications will be accepted until March 31, 2018.
- Cover letter
- Photography/video samples, or a link to online portfolio
Friends of the National Zoo helps the Smithsonian’s National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute save species through educational and fun experiences, the power of its members and funding for critical work.