The Smithsonian's Global Health Program works with international partners to combat threats to wildlife, human, and ecosystem health and survival by addressing these challenges at their source: the human-wildlife interface. The Global Health Program is based upon the One Health platform, which recognizes that the health of all species is intertwined and closely dependent upon each other. As such, GHP scientists utilize a broad range of expertise (wildlife veterinarians, pathologists, biologists, research associates and technicians) to address wildlife health concerns, investigate disease at the human-wildlife interface and conduct international training programs in an effort to build intervention and response capacity worldwide.
The intern (incumbent of this position) will have direct contact with the Program Director as well as the Program Manager of the Smithsonian's Global Health Program department.
This is an unpaid internship opportunity where the intern will learn about general administrative duties by working with the Director and Program Manager of the Smithsonian's Global Health Program department. The intern will assist with the following, as they gain important experience with management and program administration:
- Maintain the department calendar, coordinate meetings, record notes during meetings and update department agenda weekly.
- Learn different techniques for coordinating travel, including compiling receipts and learning basic excel programs to create spreadsheets and perform data entry.
- Create and maintain electronic and paper file systems and other office systems, not limited to the control, distribution and pickup of mail, equipment, scheduling of staff conference rooms and space management.
- Learn inventory techniques for supply closet and a method by which to organize equipment and supplies for international Projects.
- Incumbent will be in close coordination and cooperation with other team staff, as necessary, to ensure the execution of department administrative goals and to learn the basics of administration within a Program.
Applicants with a B.S. in a related field are preferred.
A two-three month full-time (40 hrs per week) internship is available for the Summer of 2017 (June 1 to Aug. 17). Reasonable exceptions may be made in order to coordinate with university schedules.
To apply, go to: https://solaa.si.edu and select "Don't have an Account? Create An Account." Complete the information to create an account.
Information that will be requested (in SOLAA) includes:
- Basic personal information
- Professional resume or CV
- List of two references (letters not necessary)
- A one-page statement of your interest in pursuing this position. The statement should mention relevant experience, career goals, your reasons for wanting this internship, and what you hope to gain from the experience. Your statement is very important during application evaluations.
- Transcripts from your current and/or previous institutions. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
- Schedule of availability
Once you create your account and provide the information above, you will see a screen where you select the type of appointment you are interested in. You will select:
- Type of appointment: “Internship”
- Unit of interest: “National Zoological Park”
- Program: “National Zoological Park Internship Program”
- Project: “[Smithsonian's Global Health Administrative Internship]”
IMPORTANT: Your application is considered complete when you hit “Submit.” Your SOLAA-submitted application with references must be received by the deadlines as noted above.