This is a paid internship opportunity wherein the intern will support the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute. Through this internship, interns will
- Radio-locate turtles and manage GPS data
- Provide technical assistance to stakeholders and help manage a collaborative wood turtle database
- Complete a required brief report at the conclusion of their tenure
Candidates should have graduated from a college or university within the last 12 months and have undergraduate coursework in ecology, conservation biology or a closely related field. Knowledge and field experience with ecology and conservation issues is required, as well as the ability to devote long hours in cold and wet conditions in remote field settings. Candidates should take directions easily and work well with others, yet have the ability to work independently. Individuals with previous mark-recapture and aquatic survey experience, and spatial data management and analysis skills (e.g. GIS) are especially encouraged to apply. Applicants should have plans for continued education or a career in ecology or conservation.
To apply, go to: https://solaa.si.edu/solaa/SOLAAHome.html. Select "New to SOLAA? Create Account Here" and complete the information to create an account.
Information that will be requested (in SOLAA) includes:
- Basic personal information
- Professional resume or CV
- A one-page statement of your interest in pursuing this position. The statement should mention relevant experience, career goals, your reasons for wanting this internship and what you hope to gain from the experience. Your statement is very important during application evaluations.
- Transcripts from your current and/or previous institutions. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
- Two letters of reference (One must be from a current or former supervisor)
- Schedule of availability
Once you create your account and provide the information above, you will see a screen where you select the type of appointment you are interested in. You will select:
- Type of appointment: “Internship”
- Unit of interest: “National Zoological Park”
- Program: “National Zoological Park Internship Program”
- Project: “SCBI - Wood Turtle Ecology”
IMPORTANT: Your application is considered complete when you hit “Submit.” Your SOLAA submitted application with references must be received by the deadlines as noted above.
For Additional Information
Questions about this internship should be sent to Alison Ochs at email@example.com.