Toast wildlife conservation at The Smithsonian’s National Zoo’s annual wine-tasting event, “Grapes With the Apes,” April 16 from 6 to 9 p.m. Guests can sample wines from both local and national wineries and vineyards while enjoying live music and exclusive after-hours access to the Great Ape House — home to the Zoo’s newest primate, a gorgeous baby gorilla! Billed as the Zoo’s most fun and “flavorful” evening, the Zoo has been mindful to keep “Grapes With the Apes” affordable in today’s economy.
“By the sheer scope of this event – wine tasting while surrounded by amazing and charismatic primates – ‘Grapes with the Apes’ has always been an ‘in-demand’ sell-out event,” said Bob Lamb, executive director of the Friends of the National Zoo (FONZ). “With the current market in mind, we are proud to continue the annual affair at very reasonable prices.”
Tickets for this 21-and-over event are now only $30 for FONZ members and $40 for non-members with proceeds to benefit the Zoo’s animal care, conservation science, education programs and sustainability. Ticket price includes:
- All winesamplings
- Live musical entertainment by guitarist and vocalistKenny Holmes
- “Taste the Tannin: Wine and Zoo Nutrition," aninsightful talk from the Zoo’s senior animal nutritionist Mike Maslanka aboutthe health benefits of the tannins found in red wines and of similarcompounds in the diets of animals at the Zoo
- An opportunity to learn more about great apes andthe ongoing Zoo projects that support these endangered species from Zooexperts including Marietta Dindo, Carla Estocsin, Chikako King and LisaStevens
In addition, concessions will be available for purchase and some wineries will be selling bottles of wine to take home and enjoy. Sober driver tickets are also available for $15. Sober drivers will not receive wine or the complimentary glass.
For only an additional $30, guests can gain access to the VIP Crush Pad and can enjoy:
- An exclusivepre-party happy hour in the Zoo’s Think Tank exhibit from 5 to 6 p.m.including wine and cheese
- Specialinteractive animal demonstrations focusing on orangutan memory studies by orangutankeeper Erin Stromberg
- Access to aprivate VIP area during “Grapes With the Apes” from 6 to 9 p.m., which willfeature a complimentary wine bar, wine talks and food provided by IciUrban Bistro, Urbana Restaurant and Wine Bar, Cabot Creamery and more
- A free “GrapesWith the Apes” T-shirt
- For more information about the event and to buy tickets, visit: www.nationalzoo.si.edu