Include us in Your Will
Planned gifts enable the Smithsonian's National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute to have a lasting impact on animals, conservation, and education in our local community and around the world. Your gift will help us save species and solve the conservation problems of this generation and the next.
The Circle of Life Society recognizes individuals who provide support with a planned gift.
By designating the Smithsonian’s National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute as the beneficiary of your life insurance, IRA, or will, your gift will meet your estate-planning goals and help save species.
Retain assets during your lifetime
- Leaving a gift in your will or revocable living trust allows you to retain the lifetime use and ownership of your assets, reduce estate taxes, and make a significant gift to the Smithsonian’s National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute. You may designate a specific dollar amount or a percentage of your residual estate to the Smithsonian, while leaving other assets to your family and friends.
Provide income to you or someone else
- Charitable gift annuities provide secure, fixed income for life. The annuity rate is based on the age of the beneficiaries when the annuity is funded.
- Charitable remainder trusts can be established to provide fixed income over time. They enable you to enjoy regular income for life or a term of years.
Transfer assets to family at reduced cost
- Charitable lead trusts enable you to transfer your cash or property to fund a lead trust that makes a gift to the Smithsonian’s National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute over a number of years.
Giving by beneficiary designation
- Naming the Smithsonian as the beneficiary of a retirement plan account is a smart way to give. Income from a retirement account often is taxed more heavily than other assets and so may become a liability for your loved ones.
- Another simple way to have a lasting impact is to name the Smithsonian as the beneficiary of a certificate of deposit, bank or brokerage account, or life insurance policy.