Parking & Directions
The Smithsonian's National Zoo is located in the heart of northwest Washington, D.C. and spans 163 acres. There are several entrances to the Zoo and all are pedestrian and vehicle-friendly. The main entrance is located at 3000 Connecticut Ave. NW. Additionally, the Zoo can be accessed by the Harvard Street Bridge and by Beach Drive.
- The Rock Creek Park bike path adjacent to the Zoo is closed due to deterioration from recent flooding.
- Beach Drive is under construction as part of the National Park Service's Beach Drive rehabilitation project. Detailed maps and detour information can be found on the NPS website. Commuters and visitors can also call 202-895-6232 for road closure information.
The best way to get to the Zoo is by public transportation. Both Metro Bus and Metro Rail have stops within walking distance of the Zoo. The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) Trip Planner is a great tool to use.
- While equidistant from both Metro stops, the walk is uphill from the Woodley Park stop and flat from the Cleveland Park stop.
- Always check the WMATA website for route changes, delays, and escalator or elevator outages.
- The L1 and L2 buses stop in front of the Zoo's main entrance on Connecticut Avenue.
NEW FOR SUMMER 2019: DC Circulator Bus Service
Saturday, May 4, 2019, through Monday, Sept. 30, 2019, the DC Circulator bus will run on a continuous loop between the Woodley Park/Zoo Metro stop the Zoo's Bus Parking Lot (see map).
- Monday - Friday: 6 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- Saturday - Sunday: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Parking is available at the Zoo for a flat fee of $25 or free with some FONZ membership levels. Parking is extremely limited at the Zoo and lots fill early during the spring and summer months. Street parking can be difficult to find.
Reserved parking at or near the Zoo can be purchased ahead of time through ParkWhiz. Click to Reserve Your Parking
PLEASE NOTE: The Rock Creek Park bike path adjacent to the Zoo is closed due to deterioration from recent flooding.
Riding bikes, scooters, skateboards and the like is prohibited on all pedestrian walkways at the Zoo. While in the Zoo, you must park or walk or carry your bike, scooter, skateboard, etc. The Rock Creek bike trail leading into the Zoo is open only during public hours. For a full map of the trail, see the National Park Service website.
There is limited parking on Zoo grounds for commercial buses. We recommend reserving parking through Parkwhiz due to high demand. After accessing Parkwhiz, reservations can be made by selecting the lot titled "Bus Parking." Please note that these limited reservations are only available Monday through Friday, and must be reserved at least one day in advance. However, drop off and pick up by commercial buses is conveniently located at the Bus Lot by Panda Pavilion, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. (5 p.m. closing November through March).
Reserved parking for school buses is located in Parking Lot E only. For inquiries regarding school bus parking availability, or to make a reservation, submit the following form or call 202-633-4964.
- All school bus parking reservation requests must be submitted a minimum of 48 hours in advance, but it is recommended to book at least two months in advance to increase your chances of having your request accepted.
- School bus parking and reservations are free, but there is limited space available Monday through Wednesday. There is no bus parking available on other days of the week.
- Requests will be filled in order, based on date and time of request sent.
- Once your reservation has been confirmed, a code will be sent to the point of contact for you to display in the bus window the day of your visit.