Friends of the National Zoo offers a summer volunteer opportunity for teens between 13 and 17 years old. Please read the information and position description carefully before applying. The application link is located under the "How to Apply" tab below.
Currently accepting applications for:
- All teen volunteers must be between 13 and 17 years old.
- Safari Day Camp junior class aides (ages 13-15) are required to work two weeks. Senior class aides (ages 16-17) are required to work a minimum of three weeks. Class aides are expected to arrive by 8:30 a.m. each day and will be able to leave by 3:30 p.m
- Application online: Friday, Jan. 3, 2020
- Application due date (returning volunteers): Friday, Feb. 21, 2020
- Application due date (new volunteers): Friday, Feb. 28, 2020
- Notification of selection for interview: Friday, March 13, 2020
- Interview date: Saturday, March 21, 2020
- Required training: ALL accepted teen volunteers must attend in-person training on May 9 or June 7.
Thank you for your interest in the Zoo's teen volunteer program. We are no longer accepting applications for the 2020 Summer Safari Day Camp position. Check back at the end of the year for guidelines on how to apply to the summer 2021 program.
Upon acceptance, all teen volunteers will be required to submit a medical history form.
Teen volunteers are required to observe the Zoo’s attendance and behavior policies. Volunteers are also required to wear a FONZ volunteer shirt (provided at training) and khaki (light brown or tan) pants, shorts or skirts. No denim is allowed. Closed-toed shoes or shoes with a secure strap around the heel are required; flip-flops are not acceptable.