Friends of the National Zoo offers a summer volunteer opportunity for teens between 13 and 17 years old. Please read the information and position description carefully before applying. The application link is located under the "How to Apply" tab below.
Currently accepting applications for:
- All teen volunteers must be between 13 and 17 years old.
- Safari Day Camp junior class aides (ages 13-15) are required to work two weeks. Senior class aides (ages 16-17) are required to work a minimum of three weeks. Class aides are expected to arrive by 8:30 a.m. each day and will be able to leave by 3:30 p.m
- Application online: Friday, Jan. 3, 2020
- Application due date (returning volunteers): Friday, Feb. 21, 2020
- Application due date (new volunteers): Friday, Feb. 28, 2020
- Notification of selection for interview: Friday, March 13, 2020
- Interview date: Saturday, March 21, 2020
- Required training: ALL accepted teen volunteers must attend in-person training on May 9 or June 7.
After you’ve read the information and position description completely, click Apply Now below to access the teen application form. Please fill out the form completely. Be prepared to include the following:
- Your photo
- Your contact information
- Contact information for two references*
- Emergency contacts
- Medical information
- Essay questions
*In order to be considered for this program, your references must submit their recommendations through the online form that will be automatically sent to them. When you submit your form, please contact your references and ask them to send in their evaluation as soon as possible. References must be at least 18 years old and not be related to the candidate.
As a reminder, submission of an application is not a guarantee of placement.
Upon acceptance, all teen volunteers will be required to submit a medical history form.
Teen volunteers are required to observe the Zoo’s attendance and behavior policies. Volunteers are also required to wear a FONZ volunteer shirt (provided at training) and khaki (light brown or tan) pants, shorts or skirts. No denim is allowed. Closed-toed shoes or shoes with a secure strap around the heel are required; flip-flops are not acceptable.