Join the Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center online this World Migratory Bird Day, May 9, in a digital celebration of birds and simple actions you can take from home to help save them. This one-day digital “flash flock” will raise awareness for Bird Friendly® coffee, which conserves important habitat for migratory birds and other wildlife where coffee is grown.
While many humans remain indoors, migratory birds have already embarked on their northbound journeys. Follow the Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center and learn about simple activities in and around the house that can make a difference for birds as they travel through your region, like keeping bird friendly homes and yards, participating in backyard bird counts and drinking Bird Friendly certified coffee.
How to Participate in the “flash flock” May 9:
- Post content from this Digital Toolkit to your website, in your newsletter and anywhere else you have a voice.
- Use the Digital Toolkit’s recommended profile picture, cover photo and bios, as well as the #DrinkBirdFriendly hashtag.
- Encourage your constituents or networks to ask for Bird Friendly coffee from their favorite coffee companies.
- Use the Smithsonian’s Bird Friendly Coffee page to find out where you can buy certified beans — and nab some for yourself.
- Follow the Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center on Facebook and Twitter for fun activities to do from home, like migration games and migratory bird coloring pages for all ages.
- Save the May 9 date to join the many others like you in taking a stand for biodiversity.