The Smithsonian's National Zoo's Bird House is looking for qualified interns who are interested in developing 21st century zoo professional skills in animal care. Interns play an important role in animal conservation and have the unique opportunity to aid animal care staff in various responsibilities associated with maintaining the bird collection. Tasks include routine cleaning of animal enclosures, diet preparations, exhibit maintenance, animal observations, behavioral enrichment and operant conditioning.
- Experience and learn all aspects of animal husbandry, including but not limited to food preparation, exhibit maintenance, daily and weekly cleaning tasks, public presentations, daily enrichment, operant conditioning techniques, veterinary procedures, animal behavior observation and record keeping
- Learn and follow animal and keeper safety guidelines, operations and polices
- Complete an assigned project and present findings to bird staff
- Participate in professional development opportunities made available throughout the internship to learn about zoo operations
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Strong preference will be given to undergraduate and graduate students or recent graduates pursuing a career in a related field.
- Previous animal experience in a zoo or aquarium preferred but not required
- Flexible, reliable, self-motivated and a team player
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Able to establish and maintain an effective rapport with all levels of management, employees, volunteers and Zoo guests
- Strong written and oral communication
- Good observational skills
- Able to walk, stand, sit, kneel, stoop, crawl, twist, reach above head, pull, bend, climb stairs and ladders, carry up to 50 pounds, and actively work in inclement weather
- Possess current identification (i.e., driver's license, government issued ID, passport, etc.)
- Otherwise eligible to work in the U.S. at the time of the internship
- Pass a background check and provide proof of negative TB test within the past year
To apply, go to solaa.si.edu. Select "Don't have an Account? Create An Account." Complete the information to create an account.
Information that will be requested (in SOLAA) includes:
- Basic personal information
- Professional resume or CV
- A one-page statement of your interest in pursuing this position. The statement should mention relevant experience, career goals, your reasons for wanting this internship, and what you hope to gain from the experience. Your statement is very important during application evaluations.
- Transcripts from your current and/or previous institutions. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
- Two letters of reference (one must be from a current or a former supervisor)
- Schedule of availability
Once you create your account and provide the information above, you will see a screen where you select the type of appointment you are interested in. You will select:
- Type of appointment: “Internship”
- Unit of interest: “National Zoological Park”
- Program: “National Zoological Park Internship Program”
- Project: “Bird House Keeper Internship”
IMPORTANT: Your application is considered complete when you hit “Submit.” Your SOLAA-submitted application with references must be received by the deadlines as noted above.