Pack your bags! We're traveling the world to visit our animal friends. From the meerkats of Africa to the wallabies of Australia, learn how each species adapted to the place it calls home. No passports necessary for this camp!
Welcome to FONZ Sofa Safari Day Camp, presented by Chase. Let us bring the Zoo to you!
Your favorite summer safari rolls right into your living room or backyard with FONZ's new digital camp. Crafts, games, hands-on activities and your favorite animals are waiting for you, so come join us and Zoo it at home.
Each week-long camp includes:
- Self-paced learning sessions that consist of crafts, physical challenges, read-alouds, extension activities, and videos of animals and keepers at the Smithsonian’s National Zoo
- We expect these to take between 30-45 minutes each
- Live all-camp morning meetings (see times below)
- Live morning breakout sessions grouped by age (see times below)
- Please note that we have updated our waiver to include guidelines for appropriate online behavior to ensure a safe digital learning platform.
What your family will need:
- A computer or tablet with access to the internet (and a webcam if you want to participate in the live sessions)
- A printer to download and print the documents that accompany camp lessons
- Basic craft supplies (scissors, crayons, glue, etc.) and access to household items, like boxes and bowls. We will send a detailed list of the supplies needed one week before each camp starts.
Age: Recommended for students entering grades K-5 in the fall.
Schedule of live components:
- 10-10:20 or 10:30 a.m. daily | Morning meeting with all campers (times are dependent upon ability to view animals)
- 10:30-11 a.m. Mondays and Fridays | Small group breakout sessions
Cost: $100 for members; $120 for non-members
FONZ members receive camp discounts. Not a member? Join Today!
2020 Camp Descriptions
Camp Policies and Information
Sofa Safari Day Camp welcomes campers, families and staff of all cultures, religions, sexual orientation and gender identification, family constructs and abilities. We do not tolerate aggression, violence or bullying against one another. We foster a fun and educational environment by using teaching strategies that are all-inclusive, reinforce positive behaviors and promote physical and emotional safety.
Minimum Age Requirement
Following D.C. kindergarten eligibility law, children must turn 5 years of age on or before Sept. 30 to be eligible for our program. There are no pre-K Sofa Safari sessions. Children should be registered for the grade level they will be entering in the fall, and they may be registered only within their correct age group.
All participants must have an online account in Friends of National Zoo’s registration system. This system enables you to register multiple children at once, view your account online and make payments. You will need your FONZ member login information to register and access the member rates.