- What is "Bird Friendly®" coffee?
Simply put, "Bird Friendly®" coffee is coffee that comes from farms in Latin America that provide good, forest-like habitat for birds. Rather than being grown on land that has been cleared of all other vegetation, "Bird Friendly®" coffees are planted under a canopy of trees.
Because of the shaded, forest-like setting created by these canopy trees, coffee produced this way is called shade-grown. Not only are "Bird Friendly®" coffees shade-grown, they are also organic, meaning they're grown without the use of chemical pesticides which poison the environment.
- What's the difference between "Bird Friendly®" coffees and other coffees?
"Bird Friendly®" coffees are the only coffees on the market that are certified as shade-grown and organic by an independent third-party inspector using criteria established by the Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center of the National Zoo.
These criteria are based on years of scientific research. Companies that sell "Bird Friendly®" coffees contribute 25 cents per pound to support Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center research and conservation programs.
- How do I know if the coffee I buy is "Bird Friendly®"?
- Look for the "Bird Friendly®" logo created by the Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center.
- Where do "Bird Friendly®" coffees come from?
- Like much of the world coffee, "Bird Friendly®" coffees are grown in the highlands of many Latin America countries from Mexico south to Peru.
- Do "Bird Friendly®" coffees cost more than other coffees?
- Yes, "Bird Friendly®" coffees may cost a few cents more per cup. This is a small price to pay given the benefits to birds and other wildlife, coffee farmers, and the overall health of the environment.
- How do "Bird Friendly®" coffees taste compared to other coffees?
- Coffee experts say that shade-grown coffees taste better than sun-grown coffees. This is because shade coffee beans ripen more slowly, resulting in a richer flavor.
- Where can I purchase "Bird Friendly®" coffee?
- You can purchase "Bird Friendly®" coffee at all Smithsonian National Zoo stores and restaurants. In addition, there are a number of companies across the United States and Canada that sell certified "Bird Friendly®" coffees through retail stores, internet sales, and by mail order. Sources of Bird Friendly coffee.